Tuesday 30 May 2017

Review: Origin

Origin Origin by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My feelings towards Origin are quite complicated. Some parts of the book I really enjoyed, other parts of the book I really hated. As with the first book in the series, this is a three-point-five star read rounded up to four stars. In comparison to the first book, I enjoyed it more; however, when I compare it to books two and three, this one was a bit of a disappointment.

I’ll start with the good.

There really were some great moments in this one. Book three left us on the edge of our seats, and we’re instantly thrown into the world for answers. The events that play out in reaction to the ending of book three make for great reading. In particular, we get to find out even more about this world. In fact, many new possibilities are opened up. We have lots of questions, yes, but things slowly come to light.

Honestly, I really have enjoyed the way the world has slowly developed since the first book. The details have grown stronger, new things are constantly introduced. The things introduced in this book were probably my favourite detail, but that’s just me.

Now with the things I enjoyed a lot less.

As you would expect from my reviews of the prior books, it is the romance. It is more than just my dislike of the couple, however. For me, this story was broken up far too often by the characters being unable to control their lust. It gets boring extremely fast. I get it – young love, emotions running high because of the events, and all the other clichés that influence their need to constantly grab each other – but I really could have done without. I wanted the details of what was happening outside of their bedroom eyes, I did not want the focus to be upon the romance. It just felt like far too much.

I really am trying to deal with the romance – I’m accepting it as part of the overall story, and I try not to let it influence my enjoyment of the books too much – yet I couldn’t help it with this one. It really was far too much for me. I enjoy romance, but it wasn’t needed to such a degree with this story.

Overall, I liked where this one promises to take us, but I couldn’t enjoy it as much as I had wanted to.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment