Friday 5 October 2018

Review: Hostage to Pleasure

Hostage to Pleasure Hostage to Pleasure by Nalini Singh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have such mixed feelings towards the Psy-Changeling series, and Hostage to Pleasure encapsulates the feelings better than any other book in the series to date.

On the one hand, this series intrigues me. There is so much worldbuilding to learn about, so many connected stories, and I’m curious to see how everything play out. On the other hand, I’m not as invested in this series as I am in other paranormal romance series. Things never seem to reach the highs I hope for, I’m not crazy about the characters, and I have yet to reach the level of obsession where I devour the books back-to-back. Curiosity has me continuing with the series, but I doubt it will ever be one of my favourite series.

With Hostage to Pleasure, I was rather eager to read the story. I was curious to see how the romance would play out between the two characters, interested in learning even more about two characters that had intrigued me in the past. When it came down to it, though, I didn’t much care for the characters. There was nothing to make them stand out, their story feeling more than a little bit similar to prior books in the series. In fact, if anything, this one felt rather dragged out when compared to other books in the series – there were plenty of times when I felt as though things were dragging.

If I’m being completely honest, there were times when I considered giving this a two-star rating. What stopped me from giving such a rating was the way in which the continuous storyline developed. There were plenty of things introduced throughout Hostage of Pleasure that have left me intrigued to see how things will play out in the future, things that developed the world really well. This may not be my favourite series, but the continuous storyline does continue to intrigue me.

Overall, Hostage to Pleasure may not have been my favourite in the series but I continue to be curious about what is coming.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment