Friday 12 October 2018

Review: Trick

Trick Trick by Natalia Jaster
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After hearing so many positive things about Natalia Jaster’s Foolish Kingdoms series, I decided it was finally time for me to dive in and see what all the fuss was about. Thus, I jumped into Trick with rather high expectations.

I’ll be completely honest and say I was unsure at first. It was an interesting story, it was something different, but I just wasn’t sucked in the way other reviews had me believing I would be. Nevertheless, I was curious, so I persisted.

It was around the twenty-five, maybe thirty, percent mark that my views changed. We went from a lot of information about the world and the characters, being shown things, to experiencing the action, with things starting to move. At this point, the story went from a three-star rating of simply being interesting to a four-star rating of being interesting and addictive.

I admit, things did slow down a bit later in the story, and it flickered slightly away from that solid four-star rating, but it did pick back up again after a while. It may not have been a solid four-star rating for the entirety of the novel, but it hit the four-star rating for most of it, and even those times when it wasn’t quite a full four-star rating I was hooked. Hence, this one finished with a four-star rating despite my initial uncertainty.

If I’m honest, I think a part of the reason it took me a while to get into this one was because of the way in which Jester’s point of view was told. It was nicely done, but there were times when I felt as though it became too much – as though the point of view was trying too hard. I came to appreciate this more as the story progressed, as it was part of his character, but at first it was a wee bit difficult to wrap my head around his whole over the top way of everything.

However, as I said, once the story started to progress I found myself hooked. It was an enjoyable romance between the two characters, but what I really loved about this one was the world building around the fools. The things we were introduced to in this one has left us with plenty of promise of where the future books will take us, and I cannot wait to see how things develop around this aspect of the world. It was something very different, and I had so much fun finding out more.

Without a doubt, I’ll be diving into book two – and, if I enjoy it as much as I expect, it won’t be long before I dive into book three and then join the wait for book four.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment