Wednesday 31 October 2018

Review: Muffin Top

Muffin Top Muffin Top by Avery Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

After reading and enjoying the first book in Avery Flynn’s The Hartigans series, Butterface, I was eager to dive into the second book. There was a wee bit of tentatively regarding Muffin Top, but I’m glad I jumped in. After finishing it, I’m extremely eager to get my hands on book three, Tomboy.

The fact this series is dealing with the unconventional female leads – book one was the female considered ‘unattractive’, book two is the female considered ‘overweight’, and book three is the female considered too ‘boyish’ – means there will be characters everyone can relate to. Being a woman, unfortunately, means we have labels thrown at us all the time – in some cases, we will be able to connect with all the labels being thrown at the characters. Hell, I know I can.

Although it is easy to connect with such characters, I was a wee bit worried before starting this book. I feared the female lead was going to be a cliché, with the story falling into the usual stereotypes. Fortunately, I had nothing to fear. I was sucked into this story from the very first page, and with every word I read I fell deeper and deeper in love with the characters and the relationship blooming between them.

Like Butterface, Muffin Top grabbed my attention and refused to let me free. Once I started reading, I found I could not put the book down. I was addicted, in love, and desperate to see how everything came together. I wanted more of the characters and their drama, more of the humour and emotions, and more of the countless other goodies on offer throughout the book.

It was a sweet story, with some steam and some harder hitting subjects, ensuring it reaches you on multiple levels. It’s a story that will have an impact, one that will stay with you long after you finish. So, if like me you find yourself a wee bit tentative, take the leap – there is more to this book than appears on the surface.

Now, I’m going to sit and impatiently await book three. The hints we got of what is to come have left me super desperate for more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment