Friday 27 October 2017

Review: The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts

The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts by K.C. Tansley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts is the first book in The Unbelievables series, and it was an interesting enough read. In all honesty, my feelings are rather mixed. Some parts of this book I really enjoyed whereas other aspects I wasn’t as crazy about. Whilst I have given it a three-star rating, a three-point-five-star rating is actually more accurate.

This book is one of those stories that manages to mix a few different genres into a single book. It’s young adult supernatural read, mixed with some mystery and time-travel. If it’s a combination that leaves you thinking ‘what the hell’, such a response is understandable. Although the logical part of my mind argues it shouldn’t really work all that well, it did.

The supernatural aspect is well done – simple but efficient. We have the basic ghost element at the start of the book, and as the story progresses the supernatural element grows. Little things are added at a time, new elements slowly introduced, resulting in a much more complex supernatural system than you initially realised. There is plenty within the story to ensure you understand the supernatural happenings, but still enough mystery left to ensure you come back for those answers.

The mystery element is much like the supernatural element, in the sense it is simple yet efficient. I’m a mystery aficionado, meaning I’m never quite as taken in by young adult mysteries as I would like to be, but for such a story it was well done. Hints are given throughout, the details slowly build, and you get to watch as everything comes together. Mixing knowledge of the past and the present together, it makes for an enjoyable read.

Although I found the story to be interesting, despite being pulled it, it didn’t quite pack the punch I had anticipated. It interested me, I was turning page after page to see how it came together, but I was never on the edge of my seat. The story intrigued me, but the action failed to get my heart pumping. Hence my three-point-five-star rating. It was fun, but it could have done with a bit more of a push.

Well worth the read, though, and it certainly leaves you interested in book two.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment