Saturday 7 April 2018

Review: Dragon's Awakening

Dragon's Awakening Dragon's Awakening by Sean Fletcher
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Anyone who has read a few of my reviews on fantasy books will notice one thing – I love dragons. Those who know me in real life know I take this a step further and am more than willing to pretend my bearded dragons are actual mythical creatures and I’m some all-powerful ruler who will one day get revenge on the world. Yes, I live in a fantasy world, yet it shows one thing – I love dragons.

Thus, Dragon’s Awakening appealed to be instantly.

In fact, I went in with quite high expectations. Dragons can do no wrong, so I was sure I would be won over. Plus, the story sounded really interesting. Although I found this to be an enjoyable read, it wasn’t quite all I had been expecting. It was enjoyable, but a part of me had been hoping for something more.

I think the biggest thing for me in relation to the wanting of more, was in regards to the speed of this one. Things felt rather slow to me at times, there were many occasions where I felt like skimming scenes in the hope that things would pick up and things would start to move quicker. It wasn’t that this book was slow throughout, there were just more slow parts than speedy parts. I’m hoping this is a reflection of how this is a first book, and how there was a lot of information being given, and my fingers are crossed things move faster in the future books.

I think another thing that caught me off guard was the age group this book was aimed at. Although this is young adult, I felt as though it was the lower end of young adult. I know there’s a big divide about what quantifies as young adult and whether you can split it up into smaller groups, but I’m a firm believer that even within the bracket of young adult you can break things down. When I do read young adult it tends to be those that are starting to lean towards new adult, my preference of choice, and reading something that felt closer to middle grade and new adult caught me off guard. This, however, is just a reflection of my personal reading preferences.

As a whole, this was a fun start to Sean Fletcher’s Heir of Dragons series, and I’m sure there are plenty of fun things to come in the future of the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment