Thursday 26 April 2018

Review: I See You

I See You I See You by Gregg Hurwitz
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Having read an enjoyed Gregg Hurwitz’s Tell No Lies, I was extremely excited to dive into more of the author’s work. The Gregg Hurwitz book that begged for my attention the most was The Crime Writer, leaving me more than a little bit curious about what would happen in such a story. When flicking through books in a second-hand bookstore I found a Gregg Hurwitz book with a blurb that sounded very much like The Crime Writer. Curious, I grabbed the book – only to later find out I See You is the same book as The Crime Writer, leaving me more than a little bit please about the surprise find.

As you can imagine, I was extremely excited to dive into I See You. Having given Tell No Lies a very strong four-star rating, I was expecting another strong read with this one. In the end, I couldn’t decide what rating to give it – a two or a three. Initially I wanted to round this one up to a three-star rating, but in the end I opted to round it down to a two-star rating. The concept of this book was fun, but it was not executed as well as it could have been.

For me, this was a very slow read. We start off on a high, but things quickly go downhill. We went from being thrown straight into the action to chasing our tails. I felt as though I was constantly waiting for something interesting to happen. It felt more like the insight into the kind of people a crime writer knows rather than being a story about a crime writer who may have committed a crime. Perhaps I had set my standards too high, but for me the story didn’t really hit on any of the big aspects it could have. Even when things were happening, it felt as though things were barely moving. I was reading events, accepting that they were occurring, but I wasn’t invested in them.

Overall, I was disappointed by this one. I had high hopes only to be let down. I will give Gregg Hurwitz another read, but I’m not as excited about reading more of his work as I had been when finishing Tell No Lies. My fingers are crossed, however, that I See You is not a reflection of his usual standard.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment