Friday 6 April 2018

Review: Resolution

Resolution Resolution by Denise Mina
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Upon finishing Garnethill, I wasn’t overly crazy about continuing this trilogy. I was interested in seeing where things went, but it wasn’t an intense desire. In fact, if I had not brought the trilogy as a collection, I would not have been continuing. However, being a glutton for punishment, I dove into Exile with the hope of improvement – after all, so many people seem to enjoy Denise Mina as an author and I was hoping to find a spark to create such a view within myself. Unfortunately, my feelings towards Exile were much the same as my feelings towards Garnethill. Nevertheless, I had some hope for Resolution. There was the promise of everything coming together well, of the final book winning me over.

Sadly, it was not meant to be.

I really did try with this one. There were so many things I was excited to see, so many elements I was hoping would come together and blow my mind. Yet I could not get into this one. It took me forever to work through this one, I kept putting it down and could not bring myself to pick it back up. There was the potential for so much, yet things seemed to move along at an incredibly slow pace and very little seemed to happen – even when things were happening, I wasn’t at all interested.

Don’t get me wrong, aspects from the prior book were brought together in this one quite well. The trilogy is brought to a solid conclusion, all the elements being pulled together, but I just didn’t care. I had to continue reading, as I wanted to know how it ended, but I did not care what happened on the journey. With the prior two books there came a point where I was sucked in and intrigued, yet such did not happen with this one.

At least I can now say I have finished this trilogy. In truth, I doubt I will be reading more Denise Mina in the future. I do own one other Denise Mina book – it came with this trilogy when I brought them – but it is unlikely that I will pick it up at any point in the foreseeable future. I fear it may be a book to sit and gather dust, a rarity for me. I may try it at some point, but I cannot see it happening for a very long time – if at all.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment