Sunday 8 April 2018

Review: Tracing Shadows

Tracing Shadows Tracing Shadows by Alex Lidell
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Since watching Mulan as a child, one of my favourite things has been books and movies about females pretending to be someone else to make it in a man’s world. Be it fantasy or contemporary, aimed at children or adult, any combination you can think of, such stories always grab me. Thus, the instant I read the synopsis of Tracing Shadows, I knew I would be reading Alex Lidell’s Scout series.

I will be completely honest and say it took me a couple of chapters to get into this one. I questioned whether this book was linked to another by the author, as it took me a while to understand the world. Slowly, as I strode deeper the book, the details became clear. Information is slowly given, the world coming together in a wonderful way, and the more you read the more you find out.

It quickly turned into a book I could not put down.

In fact, I told myself I would only read a couple of chapters of this one before bed – and the next thing I knew I was finishing the book. This one sucks you in hard, refusing to let go. With so much happening throughout, with so many of the necessary elements of a great fantasy novel, this one pulls you in deep and refuses to let you come up for air.

The characters are amazing, and you quickly come to enjoy them all. The world building is fabulous, giving us so much yet leaving us curious for more all at once. The storyline is gripping, with so much leaving you intrigued. The pacing is wonderful, ensuring something has you wanting to read more with every page. Then that ending – damn, do I need more. I’m desperate for book two, really excited to see how everything comes together in the future of this series. Things are going to be big, I can feel it.

A great read, so worth grabbing.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment