Saturday 7 April 2018

Review: Godmaker

Godmaker Godmaker by Ingrid Seymour
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Percy Jackson meets The Hunger Games in Ingrid Seymour’s Godmaker, and, strangely, I wasn’t as crazy about this one as such a comparison would have you believing I would be. I’m sure many will love this one, and will gladly dive deeper into the Jeweled Goddess series, but I wasn’t as blown away by this one as I thought I would be.

Godmaker is an interesting story, one that will leave you curious throughout. However, I feel as though some of the uncertainty was not a good thing. Being curious about where things will go and wanting to know more about the world is all well and good, yet I felt as though I spent quite a bit of this book not understanding things. Details that should have been given early on to help understand the world building and events seemed to be left out, and there were times when I thought I had missed information – only for the details to follow a bit later. I know many people dislike information dumps in books, yet there were times when I felt as though this book could have done with one. Such was my preference, anyway.

Another aspect I believe prevented me from enjoying this one as much as I had expected to was the characters. There was an interesting story unfolding regarding our leading lady, but I failed to connect with her at any point in the story. In fact, I was rather indifferent to the entire cast. Had I enjoyed the characters more, I believe I would have enjoyed this story more.

I can see where many would enjoy this one, but on a personal basis it wasn’t for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment