Thursday 16 January 2020

Review: A Layer Hidden

A Layer Hidden A Layer Hidden by Candace Robinson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve repeatedly said I’m not the biggest lover of short stories, but I’m starting to believe it’s because I’ve been reading the wrong ones. Although I much prefer a tome, when done right short stories are a great way to pass a short amount of time. With Candace Robinson, I’m of the belief the short stories will always deliver.

It takes great talent to write an entire story in a word count that would only be an introduction for me, and I envy Candace Robinson’s ability to tell so much in so few words. No word is wasted, everything is important, ensuring the story packs a punch.

I could share details, explain what is to be found in this story, but you’ll do much better to read the story than my review. Just know, A Layer Hidden is one of my favourite short stories. It’s difficult to find a short story I love, even harder to earn a spot on my favourites list, but A Layer Hidden managed it with ease.

A little bit of science-fiction, a little bit of horror, and a whole lot of addiction makes this the perfect quick read. If Candace Robinson was to ever use this as the start of a longer story, I’d be all over it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment