Tuesday 3 July 2018

Review: Insatiable

Insatiable Insatiable by Michelle Hazen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Insatiable is the final full-length novel in Michelle Hazen’s Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll series, and it’s an enjoyable end to the series. Although this is a standalone romance, I would recommend reading A Cruel Kind of Beautiful and Playing the Pauses first. Yes, we get a start and an end to the romance within this one, but a lot of the subplots and events relate back to the prior two books. It’s entirely up to you, but I do believe you get the best experience if you understand the other events that occur throughout this one in addition to the romance between our leads.

The events that occurred with Jax throughout Playing the Pauses had left me more than a little bit intrigued as to how this story would play out, and I was more than willing to dive into this one. I had quite high hopes, but if I’m honest this one didn’t quite hit all the right marks for me. It was enjoyable, and I kept turning the pages, yet I felt as though there was that little something extra missing to ensure I fell completely head over heels for the story.

I think my problem is that most of the emotional depth was held off until the end of the story. I found it difficult to connect to the things that were taking place, to the things that were coming out, until the last quarter of the book – at this point, it felt as though everything came together to hit you hard. I do not mind an end of story emotional punch, but I would have liked to feel something earlier in the book, too. For me, I was watching things occur but I wasn’t really feeling them.

I cannot decide if it’s because so much happened throughout this one, preventing us from going as deep as I would have liked. We get drama for everyone – see my above statement of how you should read the prior books – and this resulted in certain things feeling glossed over. There seemed to be too many time jumps, where we missed out on goodies, so we could focus on particular things, and we missed out on the small things that make a story.

Overall, it was a nice final story for the band, but I do feel as though it didn’t quite pack the punch I had hoped for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment