Friday 27 July 2018

Review: Omens

Omens Omens by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Since my first Kelley Armstrong book, I’ve found myself sucked deep into her work. Pretty much every book she has released interests me, and I plan to make my way through as many of her books and short stories as possible. It may take me a while, but I have my heart set on devouring all Kelley Armstrong releases.

Understandably, some of her books interest me more than others. The Cainsville books probably spent the longest time at the top of the list. With my love for the Women of the Otherworld series being so strong, I was more than curious about another series from Kelley Armstrong that had supernatural undertones.

Admittedly, the supernatural in Cainsville is nowhere near the level of the supernatural in the Women of the Otherworld books. In my opinion, Omens sits much closer to a thriller than a paranormal read. It’s not to the same level of thriller as the Casey Duncan books, but it’s a mash up between the two series. It’s as though the mystery of the Casey Duncan books is being subtly introduced to the supernatural of the Women of the Otherworld books. It wasn’t quite what I had expected – I had hoped for a wee bit more from the supernatural – but it certainly left me desperate for more.

If I’m completely honest, Omens took some time for me to get into. I found it to be the slowest of the Kelley Armstrong books I have read when it comes to things getting started, but once things were moving my feelings towards the book were much the same as my feelings towards any Kelley Armstrong book – it was a classic case of addiction, leaving me desperate for more. In fact, one I got about half way through this one I found it impossible to put down.

We’re introduced to so much throughout this one, with many possibilities being opened up for the future of the series. We have a storyline surrounding our leading lady’s heritage, questions surrounding what her parents did and did not do. We have a storyline surrounding the supernatural, questions of what will be introduced and what will develop more. We also have questions relating to an element introduced later in the story, but I will not mention what this is as it would be a spoiler. As the story progressed, more and more came to light that left me desperate to see where things would go next.

Whilst Omens may not be my favourite Kelley Armstrong read, it was certainly a book that left me desperate for more of the series. In fact, I went ahead and borrowed the rest of the series from the library, so I can power right the way through.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment