Saturday 7 July 2018

Review: The Peacock in Summer

The Peacock in Summer The Peacock in Summer by Bekah Clark
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve read most of Bekah Clark’s work (in fact, I just need to finish the Rise of the Hawk series to have read all her releases to date), and I find myself consistently enjoying the worlds Bekah introduces us to. With The Peacock in Summer, we dive ever deeper into the world first introduced to us in The Hawk in Winter.

The Hawk in Winter was a really enjoyable read, and we were introduced to even more during The Raven in Spring, yet I feel as though both pale in comparison to the things we were introduced to throughout The Peacock in Summer. If you have yet to read the prior two books in this series, you need to go back and do so now – this is a series that builds heavily upon the prior books, and you’ll be missing out on vital details if you dive in here. For those who have read the prior two books, be prepared for a bit of a jump in the timeline.

Rather than picking up where The Raven in Spring left off, we move forward in time to get to see where our characters are at once things have settled somewhat. There is a lot of new information to take in, plenty of new details to enjoy, with so many of the characters having moved forward in wonderful ways. Not only do we get to follow those we have enjoyed so much in the prior books, we also get to follow some new points of view, too.

At first, it seems like all is good, but before we know what is happening, things start to appear. Cracks in the surface, questions we need answering. References made in the prior books become pivotal, as we are introduced to the big evil for the last two books in the series. As much as I enjoyed the bad guys in the first two books, I feel as though what is to come in these last two books will be bigger and better.

With more of what Bekah Clark does so well – the wonderful world building and political intrigue – this story steadily builds us towards an ending that will leave us desperate for the next book. In fact, the moment I finished The Peacock in Summer I wanted to grab hold of The Vulture in Fall. It is very much a cliff-hanger of an ending, a very big question of what comes next.

There really is so much promise for The Vulture in Fall, and I cannot wait to dive in to find out how this series comes together – I really am excited to see how it all ends.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment