Friday 20 July 2018

Review: Shift of Shadow and Soul

Shift of Shadow and Soul Shift of Shadow and Soul by Hilary Thompson
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Hilary Thompson’s SoulShifter series has interested me for a very long time. In fact, Shift of Shadow and Soul, the first book, has been sitting on my Kindle since release, waiting for me to dive in. It sounded like the kind of book I would adore, and with so many positive reviews I was eager to see if the story would provide all I’d been hoping for.

Unfortunately, I had so much difficulty with this one. I was never sucked into the story in the way I had hoped to be, I never came to love the characters in the way I had wanted to, and I never really connected with the story we were given. I’m sure many will love this one – the numerous positive reviews show I am in the minority with my lack of enjoyment – yet this one wasn’t for me.

I really did try hard, too. I kept coming back to this one, spending months working through the story. Anyone who knows my reading habits will know spending such a lengthy period of time on a book is an anomaly. I usually power through books, and when I’m sucked into a book I will happily complete it in a couple of hours. Yet there was very little about this one that held my attention. There were a couple of things that interested me, but it was not enough to win me over.

I think the thing that made it so difficult for me was that I never came to enjoy the characters. I did not connect to them at all, I did not care what happened to them, and this made it difficult for me to find anything in their stories I wanted to follow. There was the potential for interest, but it never appeared. Add in the fact that it took a very long time for me to understand the world, and I had little I wanted to know more about.

As I have other Hilary Thompson books on my Kindle, I will give another of her books a try. Sadly, it seems I am not going to be powering through the So ulShifter series in the way I had been hoping to.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment