Wednesday 10 July 2019

Review: Last Summer

Last Summer Last Summer by Kerry Lonsdale
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It was extremely difficult for me to decide upon a rating for Kerry Lonsdale’s Last Summer. It was a book that had me hooked, one I powered through in no time at all, but it was a bit too predictable for my liking. As much as I enjoyed watching everything come together, I worked out almost every detail very early in the story.

I can easily see Last Summer becoming a favourite of fans of suspenseful drama, the kind of books I refer to as domestic thrillers, as it’s a story built upon lies and deceit that slowly come to light. It’s a story filled with uncertainly, we watch as the main character slowly puts the pieces together, which works to explain the drama at the start of the book. It’s a story that plays out the exact way domestic thrillers should, ensuring you’ll be hooked throughout.

The fact I was hooked and enjoying things had me wanting to give this one a four-star rating. I could not put the book down and powered through it in a single sitting. Things happened rapidly and there was plenty of aspects to enjoy, and I adored this fact. As I mentioned at the start of my review, however, I worked everything out far too easily. There was one little surprise at the very end of the story, one thing that took it a step beyond what I’d expected, but otherwise I’d worked it out. It was fun, I enjoyed seeing the way everything came together, but I’d been hoping for more that just the one surprise. This is why I rounded my three-point-five-star rating down.

Despite the predictability, I did have a lot of fun with this one and would recommend it to fans of the genre. It’s certainly a story that hooks you, one that is a lot of fun.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment