Saturday 27 July 2019

Review: Runner

Runner Runner by Patrick Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Patrick Lee’s Runner, the first Sam Dryden book, has me conflicted. On the one hand it was an addictive read, one I powered through in no time at all. On the other hand, it never quite wowed me in the way I had been hoping for. There is no denying I was hooked, at the same time it wasn’t what I’d expected.

With Runner, I got serious Reacher vibes. It felt like a Reacher book with a bit of a techno-thriller twist. Although the Jack Reacher books are a guilty pleasure of mine, Sam Dryden felt like a bit of a cheap imitation. There was action and he always had an answer, but he wasn’t Jack. With Jack Reacher there’s that little bit more, that edge that is uniquely Reacher, that makes Sam Dryden feel like a child in comparison.

Although I didn’t come to enjoy Sam Dryden as a character in the way I’d hoped, the storyline was interesting. I love a good techno-thriller, and this one is done in such a way that it almost feels paranormal in nature. It’s not, but such is the vibe that comes across at some points. It keeps you hooked, curious to see how everything comes together, and has plenty to entertain throughout.

I may give the second book a read, but at the moment it’s not at the top of my to-read list. I’m interested, but I’m not going to go out of my way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment