Wednesday 21 February 2018

Review: Bulletproof

Bulletproof Bulletproof by Jenna Galicki
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Bulletproof is the first book I have read in Jenna Galicki’s Bulletproof series, and my feelings are rather mixed. I have not read the first three books in the series – The Undercover Rock Star, Branded, and Bassist With Benefits – but I was not at a disadvantage. The prior books tell the stories of the other characters, yet they are not necessary to understand the story in Bulletproof.

As I said, my feelings are rather mixed. Some elements I enjoyed, other elements I wasn’t crazy about. I think my biggest issue is that I read this after reading another rock star romance. This other rock star romance I read was extremely powerful, earning the number one spot on my rock star romance reads… I knew anything I read after would feel inferior. Not that this is a bad book, it simply wasn’t the high I had been hoping for.

The story was an interesting one. Two rock stars, both dealing with the demands of the life style. One has a near perfect life, whereas the other has experienced the worst the world has to offer. One is stable, the other has many issues. It’s a storyline we have seen before, across many settings, yet it is one I always enjoy.

It is the storyline in relation to the mental health that I enjoyed the most. I enjoyed watching the way our characters struggled, the way they helped each other out, and the way things were dealt with. I felt as though things towards the end were a bit of an over simplification whereby the problem was pretty much fixed, but the struggles throughout the story certainly grabbed me.

It was the characters I wasn’t crazy about. I know we were dealing with rock stars, but everyone felt so juvenile. I kept wanting the grab characters and tell them to grow up. Not to mention, some of the side issues had me rolling my eyes – had the story focused solely upon the mental health I would have been happy, but some of the other elements I could have done without. Plus, there were quite a few things that felt repetitive.

Overall, this was a decent enough read. I’m sure fan of the series will enjoy being given the insight into another of the characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment