Thursday 8 February 2018

Review: Hat Trick

Hat Trick Hat Trick by Maria Luis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Maria Luis is an author I have been meaning to read for quite some time. Many of my friends with similar reading tastes have enjoyed her work, along with a number of my favourite authors, so it was a given that I needed to grab one of her books at some point. As to which book I picked up… well, all appealed. The Blades Hockey series, the NOLA Heart series, and Breathless have all appealed to me. In fact, it made it very hard to decide which one I wanted to read first. In the end, the choice was made for me when the chance came about to read Hat Trick.

Although Hat Trick is the third book in the Blades Hockey series, it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. The story has a start and end, one you can understand without any prior knowledge of the series. There are side characters whose love story is unknown, those told in the prior books, but this does not lessen your enjoyment. You can enjoy Hat Trick for the wonderful story it is, and be left with the desire to read Power Play and Sin Bin because you’re curious about the other character and not because of blank spots in your knowledge. You can trust me on that, as I plan to go and read the two prior books soon – I need more of Maria Luis, and I know reading the Blades Hockey series is just the start of me working through all her work.

From the very first page of Hat Trick, I was sucked into the story. I loved the characters as individuals, and their chemistry was fabulous. I loved their interactions, the banter between them, and the way views slowly changed to become so much more. There is such history between the characters, and I enjoyed watching as details slowly came to life. Things that came out towards the end of the story really got me, leaving my emotions all kinds of messed up. I was sucked in, and I couldn’t help but be lost to the story – once I started reading the world around me disappeared until I was finished.

With great characters, wonderful chemistry, and an amazing storyline, you’ll be lost to Hat Trick from the moment you open the book. Although I would have liked to read the series in order (not out of necessity, merely because I’m trying to break my bad habit of reading series out of order), I cannot help but view this as a perfect introduction to Maria Luis work. This book demonstrated how the author is capable of providing all I want in a romance – characters, chemistry, storyline, emotion, and some humour.

If you have yet to pick up a Maria Luis book, I would suggest you change that now. If you’re already a fan of Maria Luis and have yet to pick up Hat Trick, I would suggest you change that now. This book is more than worth reading.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment