Tuesday 13 February 2018

Review: Need You Now

Need You Now Need You Now by J. Kenner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Need You Now is the third book in J. Kenner’s Man of the Month series, and it’s another winner. After finishing book one, Down on Me, I was excited for more; after finishing book two, Hold on Tight, I was desperate for more. Two books were all I needed to know this was a series of novels containing a lot of fun, a series of novels I would instantly dive into upon getting my hand on each new one.

The Man of the Month series is a collection of interconnected romance stories, proving individual stories as a larger story plays out. Each novel features a favourite romance trope, ensuring there is something for everyone. The first book, Down on Me, provided us with the friends-to-lovers trope; the second book, Hold on Tight, provided us with the second chance romance; this third book, Hold on Tight, provides us with the brother’s best friend trope. Although each book is an individual story with a start and an end, I would recommend reading these books in order. To understand some of the details of the story in full, you need to understand how things came to be throughout the prior books. You’re certainly told, to ensure you have the basic facts to understand the story, but it is not the same as experiencing all that happened – for a bigger picture, read the series in order. After all, it’s a fun series, one you will not regret reading.

Like the prior two stories, you knew how things were going to play out in this one. You know how the trope plays out, and you know our male lead will be March’s man of the month. Despite this, the smaller details quickly pull you in. You know where things are going, but you want to see how things will come together. It’s the small details that suck you in, that leave you wanting more. Although this third book is not my favourite of the series, it provided all the feel-good elements I have come to enjoy in the first two book.

Moreover, this book seems to link in with one of the author’s other series – her Stark series. I have not read the Stark series, but it is on my to-read list. With this one, we get a little glimpse into the lives of the characters. I’m sure for long-time fans of the author, those who have read all of J. Kenner’s books and have not just dived in because the Man of the Month series sounds interesting, will adore this little cameo appearance. Had the series not been on my to-read list to begin with, it would have been after this.

Overall, this was another wonderful addition to the series. The characters in book four, Start Me Up, are not ones I’m particularly excited about reading, but it does sound like another interesting read. Not to mention, all the stuff going on in the background has me seriously excited for some of the other characters – in truth, I think this is why I’m not as excited about book four as I would like to be, as I’m desperate for certain stories to play out. I’m sure the suspense on certain characters is intentional, though, and I’m willing to take it as I’m positive I’m going to enjoy all of the books.

Bring on book four!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment