Monday 16 July 2018

Review: Bad News

Bad News Bad News by Linwood Barclay
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Bad Move, Bad Guys, and Bad Luck all sucked me deep into the Zack Walker mysteries, yet my most anticipated of the book was Bad News. We’ve been building towards this book throughout the first three, being introduced to everyone and watching as things grow. With Bad News, however, we finally got something related to a side character I had come to adore.

Fortunately, Linwood Barclay did not disappoint with this final Zack Walker mystery. As with all the books in the series, this one sucked me in deep and refused to let go. I was turning the pages at a rapid pace, unable to put the book down until I knew how everything played out. I adored the story and the characters, I adored the mystery and drama, and I was left with one single thought at the end – please, Linwood Barclay, come back to Zack Walker and his misfortune at some point in the future. Sure, I enjoy Linwood Barclay’s other work, but Zack Walker is going to hold a special place in my heart from here on out.

Like the prior books, Bad News brings plenty to the table. In fact, I feel as though this one brought the most. We’ve always had fun characters, an interesting crime, wonderfully interwoven plot points, and dark humour – however, Bad News delivers all of this in abundance and then some more. This one has that little bit extra, making it go the extra mile, making it an even more powerful book than the other three books in the series.

I think what I loved so much about this one was the plot. Sure, I adored the things I have loved so much throughout – namely the characters and humour – yet the plot in this one delivered even more. It is such an intricate story, taking us back and forth, proving us with details that come together in a wonderful way. As much as I adored the criminal aspect of the book – and it was wonderful, keeping me gripped to see how everything played out – I also adored the drama. We’ve watched the characters grow throughout the series, and this one is an accumulation of all that has happened throughout the prior books. Reading the series back to back allowed me to really appreciate the drama that occurred throughout this book, both that related to the criminal aspect of the story and the more general life drama.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Zack Walker mysteries are great books, with Bad News being my favourite. I now believe it is time for me to play catch up and read those few Linwood Barclay books I have yet to read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment