Monday 30 July 2018

Review: Emergence

Emergence Emergence by S.G.D. Singh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Emergence is the first book in S.G.D. Singh’s The Infernal Guard series, and it’s a book that offers us an interesting start to what promises to be a refreshing series. In fact, I’m more than a little bit curious to see what else is to come in this exciting new world.

With there being so many young adult urban fantasy books on the market, it is always difficult to find a book that will stand out as different. This is especially difficult with how so many authors seem to be sticking with the popular trends. I cannot fault them for doing such a thing (it’s how they make their living, after all), but I often find myself more intrigued by those who take a step away from the norm. Sure, I continue to pick up the popular books – I fall victim to bookish peer pressure all the time – yet I much prefer finding something different, taking a chance with something that does not follow the current trends.

With Emergence, we’re given elements that are in line with what is popular in the young adult fantasy genre. However, at the same time, it’s given a spin that makes it entirely unique. You see, we have aspects of the supernatural world that are really popular – certain supernatural creatures, specific events that play out in teenagers’ lives, and the way in which the world opens up to those teens – yet they are given a spin I have not seen before. You see, we get a different mythology to usual.

I adore it when authors take a known mythology (even when it is those I do not know much of) and put their own spin on it, mixing it in with elements of the genre I love so much. This is exactly what S.G.D. Singh does: we’re given a unique spin on the supernatural world, providing us with something new and entertaining to fall in love with. I really enjoyed watching the way the details came to life, I had fun watching the way things were mixed together, and I’m excited to see what else is brought to us in the future books.

If you’re looking for a book that takes the known and makes it the unknown, then this book is for you – S.G.D. Singh leaves you turning the pages, desperate to see how things play out, and more than willing to read more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment