Wednesday 18 July 2018

Review: Dire Quest

Dire Quest Dire Quest by Sarah K.L. Wilson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The last couple of books in Sarah K.L. Wilson’s Dragon School series have given us quite the high, and I was crossing my fingers the high would continue. After all, I’m addicted to the series, more than willing to dive straight into each new book. Although this thirteenth book was enjoyable, it wasn’t quite the high of the few prior books that left my heart pounding.

Dragon School: First Flight, book one, sucked me completely into the world – it was so much more than I’d expected, and I couldn’t wait to get more. Dragon School: Initiate, book two, sucked me in even deeper – it showed me there was more to the story than I’d originally thought, ensuring I would pick up the next. Dragon School: The Dark Prince, book three, was a very important book in the series – it may not have been my favourite book, but it was vital to the overall story. Dragon School: The Ruby Isles, book four, continues to move things forward in a wonderful way – it may not be my favourite of the stories, but it is another important addition. Dragon School: Sword, book five, was another brilliant read, adding more to the series – it was also the book that reminded me why I was following the series in the first place, pulling me back in after a short hiatus.

Dragon School: Dusk Covenant, book six, added plenty of new twists – more than enough to ensure I remained ensnared with the story. Dragon School: First Message, book seven, brought even more to the table – more was added to the storyline, plenty of things leaving me curious as to what would come next. Dragon School: Warring Promises, book eight, left on a serious cliff-hanger – all the books leave on a cliff-hanger, but this was probably the biggest of them all. Dragon School: Prince of Dragons, book nine, was probably my least favourite of the series, but it continued to move things forward for us.

Dragon School: Dark Night, book ten, was one of my favourites in the series, increasing the level of intensity and leaving us with so many expectations. Dragon School: Bright Hopes, book eleven, was a pivotal book in the series, giving us so many new twists and making so many promises for the future. Dragon School: Mark of Loyalty, book twelve, blew all the prior books out of the water, earning it the label as my favourite in the series. Dragon School: Dire Quests, book thirteen, therefore had a lot to live up to.

I think, coming after my favourite book in the series, Dragon School: Dire Quest was never going to blow my mind in the way I had hoped. Sure, I liked to believe I would receive another new favourite, but deep down I knew such would never be the case. Although this thirteenth book was enjoyable, it wasn’t quite all I had hoped it would be.

If I’m being completely honest, this was another book in the series where I rounded a three-point-five-star rating up. It contained action and drama, the characters we know and love, and it increased our knowledge of the world in a great way – but it did not have quite the same impact as some of the prior books. It gave us more, but at the same time it could have given more.

It’s certainly another pivotal read in the series – every book is, really – but it wasn’t all I had hoped for. Nevertheless, I’ll be diving into book fourteen as soon as I can.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment