Wednesday 1 August 2018

Review: Butterface

Butterface Butterface by Avery Flynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Avery Flynn is an author whose name I have heard on many occasions, with quite a few of my friends being a fan of her work. Despite the number of times I’ve heard the name, it wasn’t until I heard about Butterface that I decided to give one of her books a read.

The moment I found out about Butterface I knew I needed the book. It sounded like the kind of book I would adore, and I was more than willing to dive straight into the story. I went in expecting so much, with so many ideas in my mind, that it meant the story wasn’t quite what I had imagined. However, despite this, I had so much fun with this story.

It took me a couple of chapters to be pulled into the story, to come to believe in the chemistry between the two characters, but once things got moving I found the book impossible to put down. It was a book I had to finish in a single sitting, unable to pull myself away from the events that were occurring. I found myself constantly asking what would come next, desperate to see what new element would be introduced to the story.

I admit there were some predictable elements to this one, but there was enough entertainment thrown in that I was not bothered by the moments of predictability. I was lost to the characters and storyline, wanting more of the main characters and the side characters, more than happy to keep turning the pages so I received more of the good stuff.

The one thing I will say is that this book was not the rom-com I had been hoping for. It was enjoyable, there were a few amusing moments, but it was not the laughter-fest I had hoped for. Such has been the case with a lot of the books I’ve read recently that have been labelled as rom-coms, and I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to stop expecting laughter with such books. Either I’m setting my standards too high, or rom-coms are not as funny as they should be. Either way, despite the lack of belly laughing, I did have fun with this story.

There is no doubt in my mind that I will be grabbing the second book in the Hartingans series, as I’m more than willing to dive into more of this family.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment