Tuesday 9 July 2019

Review: Seven Blades in Black

Seven Blades in Black Seven Blades in Black by Sam Sykes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sam Sykes is an author I’ve been meaning to read for quite some time. With how entertaining I find his Twitter account, I was eager for the same kind of humour in his books. When the library finally got a Sam Sykes book, I was all over it.

Seven Blades in Black had me hooked throughout. It’s what fantasy should be, whilst being unique. It’s a gunslinger story, yet it contains a wonderful magical system. It’s a story filled with good and bad, all the shades of grey, leaving you hooked to the characters and desperate to see how everything plays out. The story has plenty packed into it, and it’s one that is easy to power through despite the length.

In fact, I was so hooked I was able to overlook things that have been annoying me recently in fantasy. It’s one of those books that tries a bit too hard to be funny, feeling rather juvenile in the jokes. It’s one of those books where I expected more from the ending, with it being less than what I’d anticipated. However, these things were not enough to drag my four-star rating down as I was addicted throughout.

There is no doubt Seven Blades in Black has left me desperate for more Sam Sykes. This book may not have been perfect, but it more than hooked me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment