Sunday 21 July 2019

Review: The Unfettered Child

The Unfettered Child The Unfettered Child by Michael C. Sahd
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Unfettered Child is a very character-driven fantasy, without the masses of world-building I usually love in my fantasy novels. Despite this, the lack of world-building more than works for this story. The limited knowledge we have reflects the limited knowledge the characters have, sucking us right into the story.

Within the story, there are all the necessities of a good fantasy novel. From the magic to the conflict, The Unfettered Child ticks of countless fantasy boxes. It’s a story that gives a lot, ensuring you’ll be hooked throughout. You find yourself turning the pages, desperate to see how everything comes together, and the way the book ends will certainly leave you fulfilled. It’s unexpected, but it’s fulfilling.

As much as I enjoyed The Unfettered Child, I did find myself at a bit of a distance from it. I enjoyed watching the way things developed, but I never felt the connection with the characters that I had hoped to. The stories were fun to watch, I loved the way everything tied together, but I never quite fell in love with them in the way I had hoped.

Overall, The Unfettered Child is more than worth reading if you’re a fantasy fan. It gives what fantasy readers love whilst offering a unique read, ensuring readers will be back for more of the author’s work.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment