Monday 21 October 2019

Review: Out of Darkness

Out of Darkness Out of Darkness by Laramie Briscoe
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Out of Darkness is the second book in Laramie Briscoe’s Heaven Hill series, and I recommend reading the first book before reading this one. Although this is a complete romance, elements continue in this one that were first introduced to us in book one. Moreover, it’s one of those books where we get points of view outside of the two main characters, and these points of view are best understood if you know the characters from book one.

With Out of Darkness, my feelings are mixed. Again, Laramie Briscoe gave a story I happily completed in a single sitting. I was pulled in, curious to see how everything came together, but I was not wowed by it in the way I had hoped for. I think, in part, this is because of how much I have enjoyed other Laramie Briscoe books. The Heaven Hill series is interesting, but it is not quite up to the standard of more recent Laramie Briscoe books.

Out of Darkness was a bit on the slow side, and it wasn’t until later in the book that things really got moving. A part of me was over analytical at places and was shaking my head at some of the things being said in therapy – I know if I said those things to people I’d be in a world of trouble – and I would have liked a bit more emotion there, but this was simply because of how picky I am about this storyline. Due to work, I always come at the storyline more analytical than I should.

Despite this, Out of Darkness moved the Heaven Hill series forward well. I’m hoping the events that came about in this one will make for a turning point in the series, as I remain intrigued and have high hopes for the future books in the series. In fact, I’m super eager for book three.

Although not my favourite Laramie Briscoe read, Out of Darkness was an addictive quick read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment