Thursday 19 December 2019

Review: The Starless Sea

The Starless Sea The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Although I enjoyed Erin Morgenstern’s The Night Circus, I was never as obsessed with it as some people. Sure, I really enjoyed it, but it did not make it onto my list of favourite books. Nevertheless, I was extremely eager to dive into The Starless Sea.

The Starless Sea is a story within a story. It’s an ode to books, book lovers, and everything bookish in the world. It pulls you right in, leaves you addicted, and throughout your addiction will grow. It’s a book filled with possibility and wonder, one that will keep you gripped throughout.

From the very first page, I was sucked into this one. I fell in love with the story and the characters, and my mind was trying to puzzle out all the ways in which things were connected. It’s an intricate story, one where all the details come together in a fabulous way, one that requires you to stop and take in the magic.

As wonderful as it was, there were elements that disappointed me. The romance, in particular, let me down. I expected something magical, something overpowering, but I never felt the connection between the characters. I wanted something grand, the kind of love that makes it seem possible to overcome anything, but the romance aspect of this one felt a wee bit flat. I liked the characters, I wanted to see them together, but I never felt the connection between them that I expected.

I’m also unsure how I feel about the openness of the ending. A part of me really liked it. Another part of me wanted more of a conclusion. It’s an ending I’m conflicted about, as I’m a big lover of seeing what comes next and getting more. The ending worked for the story, but my love of getting something extra had me wanting more.

All in all, The Starless Sea was a wonderful read. I could not put it down, it had me hooked, and I’ll certainly be diving into the next Erin Morgenstern book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment