Wednesday 20 March 2019

Review: Vicious

Vicious Vicious by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Vicious is a book that has been on my radar for a long time. I love a story about superpowers, about bad guys, about the morally grey, and the Villains books seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. Add in the fact I really enjoyed Schwab’s Shades of Magic books, and I was more than eager to devour this one.

Time for a painful truth: I was disappointed by Vicious. It was addictive, but I had expected more. I powered through it, but I never felt the connection I had expected to. It was fun, but it did not satisfy me in the way I had imagined. I think a large part of this is everyone had me expecting huge things with this one. Everyone seems to love this book, this series, and I went in expecting to have my mind blown. Instead, I was given a story that was fun but failed to wow me.

Vicious was an interesting concept, but I feel as though we only brushed the surface of what it could have been. We got told and shown lots of things, but none of these things sucked me in completely. I was watching a story unfold but never felt anything, hence my disappointment when you consider how invested I was with the Shades of Magic books.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not a story that is going to earn a spot in my favourite of the genre. However, I am curious enough to give the second book a read. My fingers are crossed I will enjoy the second book more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment