Saturday 30 March 2019

Review: Wake

Wake Wake by Elizabeth Knox
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I love a good horror story, and Elizabeth Knox’s Wake sounded like something I would adore. When I heard about it, I was reminded of a few of my favourite horror stories and was desperate to dive in. In fact, I went in with very high expectations.

It was clear from early on this book wasn’t going to suck me in the way I had hoped. Despite this, I continued. I was curious to see how everything would come together and was holding out hope the book would improve and wow me. Instead of improving, my enjoyment of the book continued to lessen. I found myself close to putting this book down and leaving it unfinished on a number of occasions, yet I persisted.

My issue was I never came to care about any of the characters, I never connected to anyone. With what happened, I should have felt something – even if it was a negative emotion – but I never did. I was indifferent throughout, and not even the events could suck me in deep. Early in the book, I thought I would be giving it a two-star rating, as it left me wanting to see how things played out. When we failed to get the big ending I’d hoped for, when things seemed to happen far too easy, I found myself dropping the rating to a single star.

I’m sure there are plenty who will enjoy this one, but it was not for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment