Thursday 26 April 2018

Review: Blade Runner

Blade Runner Blade Runner by Philip K. Dick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Despite all my interest in both reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and watching Blade Runner, it took me much longer than I care to admit to make the connection between the two. I’m not sure how I missed it for so long, but this went on for far too long. It’s a good job it did not continue for longer, though, otherwise I may have overlooked the Blade Runner book when I saw it in the bookstore – I would have labelled it the book companion rather than being the book I have been meaning to read for so long. Please, feel free to consider me an idiot – I certainly do.

Idiot or not, I was excited to dive into this one once I had it. I love a good science fiction read, and as one of the classics I had high hopes for this one. I will be honest and say I wasn’t entirely sure as to what I was going to receive, but whatever it was I was excited for it.

Although I did enjoy this one, I will admit that my enjoyment was nowhere near what it could have been. I think I had made it bigger than reality in my mind, and due to that it did not reach the crazy expectations I had. The first half of this one, I was so into the story – the second half, not so much. In fact, bits confused me, bits left me hanging, and I feel as though the second half of the story was nowhere near as powerful as it could have been. It almost felt like two separate yet very similar books were combined, resulting in a story that went together but didn’t work out as well as it could have.

Don’t get me wrong, it was fun. As I said, the first half was really good. I really enjoyed the world building and the possibilities put forward in the first half of the book. It is understandable why the book is considered a classic in the science fiction genre. I powered through the first half, turning page after page, needing answers, and unable to put the book down. I just wish the high had continued.

Nevertheless, I’m glad to say I finally gave this one a read. It may not have been the mind-blowing read I had been expecting, but it was enjoyable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment