Wednesday 25 April 2018

Review: Love on Hold

Love on Hold Love on Hold by Mia Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Love on Hold is Mia Miller’s debut into the world of contemporary romance writing, and it is one hell of a debut. If you’re a fan of contemporary romance, if you enjoy new adult romance, you need to give this a read. I can tell you right now, after just one book, Mia Miller is someone to watch. I may be a bit pre-emptive in saying this, but I genuinely believe such to be true – this was such a powerful debut, and I cannot wait to see where Mia Miller takes us next.

Although the wrong number trope seems to be quite popular in romance, I’ve yet to read a story using the trope. It is a trope that has interested me, yet I always seem to sway towards my favoured tropes instead of trying something new. Thus, I cannot compare this to other books using the trope, but I can certainly say it hit the right spots for someone who has never read such a story before. In fact, it’s ensured I will be picking up more wrong number books in the future – if this is any indication of what the trope has to offer, then I’ve been missing out on some seriously good stuff.

From the very first page, Love on Hold sucks you into the story. You’re pulled into the lives of the characters, into their story, and it is extremely difficult to put the book down. I told myself I was just going to read a couple of chapters to get an idea of the story, and the next thing I knew I’d finished the book – it was insanely addictive, leaving me turning page after page to see what happened next. Sure, there were some expected moments, but it was wonderful to watch how everything came together, how Mia Miller made the story her own, and to enjoy some of the wonderful lines peppered throughout.

Honestly, this was such a sweet story. There were a few steamy scenes, but mostly this one was incredibly sweet. Dealing with loss, following your dreams, and standing up for what you deserve, this story intertwines the romance beautifully with the heavier topics of the story. It really is a powerful debut, one that leaves me with high expectations for the future books – and with the desire for stories surrounding the side characters (because, honestly, the case was amazing – both the main characters and side characters).

It really is a solid four-star rating. Early into the story I thought it could be a five-star rating, but I do feel as though things came together too quickly and too easily towards the end, with the way some details were resolved been overly simple and cliched for my liking. It was enjoyable, I cannot deny that, but towards the end of the book I lost the feeling of how it could have been a five-star rating and it became a solid four-star instead.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with this. I’ll certainly be reading more Mia Miller in the future, and am already on the lookout for any information I can get regarding her next release.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment