Wednesday 25 April 2018

Review: Cancer And The Playboy

Cancer And The Playboy Cancer And The Playboy by Zee Monodee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having read and enjoyed two other Zee Monodee books – Edge of Danger and Prescription for Love – I was more than willing to dive into another book by the author. Although Cancer and the Playboy is the third book in the Daimsbury Chronicles, it is possible to enjoy this book as a standalone novel. It is clear to see where nods are being made towards the characters in the other books, but you do not need to understand their stories to understand this one. I do wish to go and read the books, though, as I’m more than a little bit interested in finding out more about the characters who popped up throughout this one.

When reading Prescription for Love, I found Zee Monodee was capable of adding an element to the story that requires a bit of care, and the same was true with Cancer and the Playboy. In Prescription for Love, Zee Monodee added the element of a child into the story without making it cliched allowing all the emotions to come forward; with Cancer and the Playboy, Zee Monodee brought to life the cancer storyline in such a way that we experienced all the emotions alongside the characters whilst making us aware of the difficulties involved. There is no doubt, Zee Monodee is an author to read if you’re looking for someone capable of intertwining emotional storylines into their romance – we get beauty and heartbreak in Zee Monodee stories, and Cancer and the Playboy shows this wonderfully.

I will be completely honest and admit I was a wee bit tentative at first. The first chapter, I wasn’t sure how I felt about our characters. Quickly, as is necessary in reads of this length, more information was brought to light that altered my views of the characters – I went from being unsure about characters to seeing the bigger picture, being sucked into their lives, finding myself unable to put this book down. I’m no stranger to reading a book in a single sitting, yet I’m sure this book will have slower readers wanting to do such a thing – there really is so much to love in this one, from the characters through to the emotion, and it will leave you desperately turning the pages.

My two prior books left me sure I would be reading more Zee Monodee in the future, and Cancer and the Playboy has left me completely certain I will continue to read the author.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment