Friday 6 April 2018

Review: Demons

Demons Demons by J.L. Drake
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Demons is the second book in the Devil’s Reach series, and boy do I need book three. Now. Like, right this second now. Why isn’t it released yet? Why do I start books before the series is finished? Someone keep me updated on the progress of book three. You can clearly see how badly I need book three.

When I finished Trigger, the first book in the series, I was overly eager to dive into this second book. Trigger is, without a doubt, one of the best motorcycle club romances I have ever read – hence why I was more than happy to dive straight into book two. Although I didn’t enjoy book two quite as much as I enjoyed book one, it was another wonderful read – if the Devil’s Reach series continues along this path, it’s possible I may crown it my favourite series in the genre.

Like the first book, this has all the blood, gore, and grit you come to expect from motorcycle clubs, along with the deep connection of the brotherhood and the family vibes it creates. If you haven’t read the first book go back and do so now, as much of the emotional connection occurs within the first book, with this second book building upon all that came to play in the first book.

The reason I said I enjoyed the first book more links in with the aforementioned gritty elements prevalent within this series. We still have all the nasty that we were introduced to in the first book, but I had been expecting something darker in regards to the secrets that came out in this one. There was plenty to find out, but some of the details were much tamer than book one had me believing they would be. Things certainly continued to grow darker the deeper into this one I got, but it was never quite the darkness I had anticipated.

Nevertheless, the details that did come to light in relation to some of the big questions of book one were wonderful. We get to find out so much in this one, so many of the details coming together. There is plenty still up in the air, many things we need book three to answer, but the answers we’ve been given thus far were amazing. So many of my question marks have been answered, and I really enjoyed watching the way everything came together.

I also feel as though there may be a link to some of the author’s other work in this one. I’m not sure, but it felt like I was missing some details when new characters were introduced. If someone can let me know what I need to read to fill in these blanks, I’ll be super grateful. I plan to read more of the author’s work anyway, but a direction to head in would be great.

Speaking of planning to read more of the author’s work, I’ll going to circle back around to how I started this review. I need book three, and I need it now. This one ends on a serious cliff-hanger and waiting for book three is going to be painful.

There is no other way to say it – I’m obsessed with this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment