Sunday 29 April 2018

Review: Little Bones

Little Bones Little Bones by Sam Blake
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

As a crime thriller fan, I’m always on the outlook for new series to obsessively read. When I stumbled upon Little Bones in the bookstore, I felt as though I had found exactly what I was looking for. The blurb of Sam Blake’s debut read, the first book following Cathy Connolly, seemed to be exactly what I look for in my crime fiction reads.

Although I did enjoy this one, I wasn’t as crazy about it as I had hoped to be. In truth, this was more of a three-point-five-star read rather than the three stars I gave it. I did consider rounding it up, but it wasn’t quite at the level where I would round it up. It has left me with the hope the next book, which I plan to dive into soon, will be capable of pulling the four-star rating from me, but this one wasn’t quite it.

As I’d hoped, there was a lot going on in this story. We follow multiple individuals, allowing us to watch as seemingly unconnected storylines come together in an intriguing manner. At first I was a little bit put off by all the points of views we were following, unsure how everything would manage to come together, but all the events combined in a surprisingly smooth and intriguing manner. If, like myself, you feel a little bit unsure about all the points of views, I would certainly recommend sticking with this one as things do become clearer the deeper into the book you get.

Although I did enjoy the way everything came together, I did feel as though the book wasn’t quite as fast and action packed as I would have liked it to be. The level of intensity in this one wasn’t quite what I like with my thrillers – in fact, it was more in line with the level of insanity you would expect from a cosy thriller, which the storyline of this one clearly is not. Things do pick up later in the book, but it wasn’t what I usually enjoy in my thriller reads.

I’m also a bit unsure about the ending. You should know in advance it ends of a serious cliff-hanger – and that is what has me unsure. I prefer when books, especially in the thriller genre, tell you in advance there is a cliff-hanger, that it is a series where you’ll be left with a question mark until you get the next book. I enjoyed the shock of the way it ended, but it did feel like a cheating way of making sure I grabbed the next book.

Overall, this was a decent enough read. I wasn’t as crazy about it as I had hoped to be, but there is certainly potential with this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment