Tuesday 3 April 2018

Review: The Haunting of Sunshine Girl

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Haunting of Sunshine Girl is the first book by the series of the same name, a series based upon a popular YouTube sensation. I’ll be honest, I’d never heard of the YouTube series or the book series until I was offered the chance to receive a copy of the final book in the trilogy. Intrigued, I was more than willing to go back and read the series.

I’ll be honest, this wasn’t quite a full four-star rating. It was a fun quick read, perfect for fans of young adult horror, but on personal preference alone it wasn’t a full four-star rating. That being said, it was strong enough for me to round up my rating – had I rounded down, I would have felt as though I was doing this book a disservice.

For anyone who has read young adult horror, you know what you’re going into with this one. I was brought up on adult horror before most children had picked up children’s horror, so my expectations of the scary are vastly different to the average person. Therefore, I would never label this one scary or creepy. It does what you would expect from a young adult horror novel, though: it has the constant vibe of there being something more, enough hints are dropped to the supernatural, and you’re left intrigued as to how the story will come together.

It is so much more than a simple house haunting, though. This book has a great setup to the rest of the series, slowly introducing us to the bigger picture of the supernatural world. We’re given a basic insight into the lore of this one, given suggestions of what is to come, and get to know the characters. With it being such a quick read, I was able to complete it in no time at all, and was surprised by how deeply I was sucked into the story.

By the time you reach the end, the story has managed to grip you, and you’ll soon be picking up book two to see what comes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment