Monday 7 January 2019

Review: After All

After All After All by Laurie Winter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I adored Laurie Winter’s Home Field and True Horizon and was extremely eager to dive into the third Warriors of the Heart book. With the information we received in True Horizon, I was more than ready for another mind-blowing emotional read from After All, was ready for the glimpses we received to become an overpowering emotion.

Although I enjoyed After All, I did not enjoy it quite as much as I enjoyed the first two books. The first two books were extremely strong four-star ratings – they were books I devoured, books that left me feeling so much, and books I could not stop thinking about. Whilst I gave After All a four-star rating as well, it wasn’t the same kind of four-star rating. It was a four-star rating with a few moments where it dropped down closer to a three-star rating, rather than having the flickers of five-stars the first two books had. It was a great read, yes, but it wasn’t quite the powerful read of the first two books.

With After All, we have another book that deals with a heavy real-life topic. It brings about plenty of the emotions involved, giving us a true to life story. It is emotional, it is addictive, and it will make you stop and think about how far from realistic some romance books are. It’s a story with plenty of layers, with multiple elements, and each new detail will leave you wanting more. Once you start, you’ll happily keep reading until you reach the last page and see how everything comes together.

I think the reason I enjoyed this one less than the two prior books is because the chemistry wasn’t quite as strong between our main characters. They were both great characters, the way their story developed was wonderful, but the chemistry wasn’t quite as overpowering as the two prior books. I know I shouldn’t be comparing books, but it is hard to do. Hence why I gave it a four-star rating – I did enjoy it and had I not gone in with the expectations of the prior books I doubt I would have had as many ‘this is a three-star moment’ moments.

If you enjoyed the two prior books, you certainly need to read this one. Once you’re done reading you’ll find yourself in the same position I’m currently in – ready and eager for book four, Winner Takes All.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment