Thursday 31 January 2019

Review: If I Stay

If I Stay If I Stay by Gayle Forman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Gayle Forman’s If I Stay is one of those books that I have been curious about for a long time. With there being a film so many people seemed to enjoy, I was extra curious. When I found the book in the library, I decided it was finally time to give the book a read.

Time for a painful truth: most of this book was a one-star rating. It was an interesting story, but it failed to do any of the things I’d been expecting. I was anticipating a highly emotional read, one where we experienced all kinds of emotions, only for me to spend most of the book disinterested. Neither the events in the present nor the events in the past interested me, I cared for none of the characters, and I kept waiting for something to happen.

The thing that stopped the book from receiving the one-star rating was the tiny bit of emotion at the end. It wasn’t a crazy amount of emotion, but it was enough for me to give the book a two-star rating instead of the one-star rating. It wasn’t enough to get me reading book two, but it was enough to add on that extra star.

I’m sure many will enjoy this, but it completely missed the mark for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment