Wednesday 2 January 2019

Review: Her Deceptive Duke

Her Deceptive Duke Her Deceptive Duke by Scarlett Scott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Historical romance is my guilty pleasure genre. If anyone asks what I like to read I will usually tell then crime and thriller, but the truth is I will read anything. However, historical romance is never a genre I think to shout out about. This has nothing to do with shame (despite the looks some people receive when stating their enjoyment of bodice rippers) but is a reflection of how rarely I read the genre. When I do read the genre, I tend to stick to the same authors. With Her Deceptive Duke, I have found a new historical romance author I will be following.

Her Deceptive Duke is the fourth book in Scarlett Scott’s Wicked Husbands series, but it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. There were clear references to other books and characters, events and drama that have clearly already played out in the series, but such does not hinder your enjoyment of this one. It does, however, leave you wanting to go back and read the prior books. Such is something I now wish to do, something I’m rather eager to do. It’s not just to fill in gaps, but because I was addicted on so many levels and am desperate for more.

From the very first chapter I was sucked into this story. The drama begins instantly and does not let up. We’re sucked into the story, and every page leaves us ever more desperate to see how everything comes together. It wasn’t just the events that are gripping, though, as the characters have an even stronger hold. I adored the characters and found their chemistry to be amazing. I could not put the book down once I started, as I could not bring myself to leave the wonderful development between the two behind.

With fantastic characters, a story I adored, and more action than I’m accustomed to in my historical romance reads, Scarlett Scott more than won me over with Her Deceptive Duke. In fact, I was so in love I’m now more than willing to dive into Nobody’s Duke – the first book in the spin-off series, League of Dukes, which tells the story of a character I adored in Her Deceptive Duke.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment