Thursday 31 January 2019

Review: The Devil's Work

The Devil's Work The Devil's Work by Demelza Carlton
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Demelza Carlton writes across a range of genres, and I’ve picked up a couple of her books in the past. After enjoying what I’ve read, I was interested in reading more. With The Devil’s Work we have a story intended to be a prequel to the Mel Goes to Hell series, and as someone interested in the series I decided to give this one a read.

Although this is intended as a prequel story, I felt completely lost. I feel as though a lot of the details were missed, and that I’d have had a better understanding if I’d read this after reading the other books. It is cheesy to say the devil’s in the details when this book is about the devil, but such is true. Things look straightforward, but it took a bit of effort to understand certain things as I was missing details.

Even without that, had I managed to work my way around such a thing, I failed to enjoy this one. A book about the devil should have been fun, yet I feel as though nothing happened throughout this book. I was waiting for something big to occur, waiting for something dramatic to play out, but it never hit. Plus, the devil didn’t feel very much like the devil to me.

Perhaps this one will make more sense to those who have read the Mel Goes to Hell books, but as a new reader I failed to enjoy it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment