Tuesday 12 March 2019

Review: Lingering

Lingering Lingering by Melissa Simonson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

There are times when books intrigue me because there is so little to go on. I get sucked in by the possibilities, I find myself curious as to what kind of story will be given, and I’ll create all kinds of notions. Often, when this happens, I find myself tentative when I finally start the book. I will have created ideas only to be given something very different, which can either be a good or a bad thing.

Such was the case with Lingering. I was intrigued, I was unsure as to what I would expect, and by the time I started the book I was nervous. Fortunately, my nerves quickly vanished. Lingering sucks me in on so many levels, hooking me and leaving me unable to put the book down. It was even more than I imagined, not at all what I had expected, and I adored the journey.

Lingering is a book with much more to it than you see on the surface. It is a story of grief, a story of artificial intelligence, a story of humanity, and so much more. I could sit and list all the little aspects that come into play, but I’d be sure to miss some. It has much more to the story than you would think, pulling you in with various aspects.

The characters may be the thing to initially grab your attention (as they are great), or it could be the underlying mystery (one that plays out well), or it could be the possibilities we are introduced to (possibilities that continue to grow throughout the book). Whatever it is that initially grabs your attention, in a very short space of time it will be just one of many things you’re addicted to.

Wonderfully written, with so much to it, Lingering has me desperate for more of Melissa Simonson’s work. If the author’s other work is as good as this, I’ve stumbled upon a hidden gem.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment