Wednesday 27 March 2019

Review: The Priory of the Orange Tree

The Priory of the Orange Tree The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve really enjoyed Samantha Shannon’s The Bone Season books and am eager to dive into the next release. I know there are some people who were disappointed by the detour into a standalone novel, but I was eager for this release. After all, The Priory of the Orange Tree sounded like the kind of thing I would adore. A high fantasy novel with dragons will always grab my attention.

Despite my eagerness for this one, I’m in the minority with my feelings towards the book. You see, I did not love it in the way I had hoped to. I never found myself addicted to the storyline, I was indifferent towards the characters, and I could have put the book down at many points and not returned. However, I was curious, and I held out hope it would get better.

I admit, there were some points when I did enjoy the story. There was a lot to the word, and these things came together well. Hence my three-star rating. However, these moments were not enough to make me crazy about the world and the story. It was interesting, but it is very far from being a favourite in the fantasy genre.

I’ll certainly be reading the next book in The Bone Season series, but The Priory of the Orange Tree failed to give me the mind-blowing dragon read I’d hoped for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment