Tuesday 27 February 2018

Review: Eternal Desire

Eternal Desire Eternal Desire by Kim Loraine
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I will be completely honest about my rating of this one – it is more of a three-point-five-star read than the three stars I gave it. A part of me did consider rounding up, but in the end I decided to round down. Should I continue with this series, I feel as though the potential for higher ratings is certainly there.

Eternal Desire is the first book in Kim Loraine’s Siren Coven series, and I was instantly sucked in by the synopsis of this one. I love a good paranormal romance, and I went in with high hopes. It wasn’t long before I realised something, though…

Although Eternal Desire is the first book in the Siren Coven series, this book is actually a spin-off from the author’s Fallen Angel trilogy. In some cases, reading spin-off series is perfectly fine – however, with this one I felt as though there were a lot of gaps in my knowledge. Information is given, but it was not enough for me to understand all of the references. Much has been done in regards to world building and events in the Fallen Angel trilogy, and without that knowledge I spent most of the book lost. By the second half of the book, I had a decent understanding – and I think this is why I enjoyed the second half of the book more – but it still wasn’t enough for me to understand everything. I think, therefore, it is best to go and read the Fallen Angel trilogy first.

In fact, I have the first book, Waking the Watcher, on my Kindle already. Having read Eternal Desire, I know Kim Loraine is capable of providing a fun paranormal read – and I will be more inclined to go and start the trilogy now. However, I doubt I will read the next Siren Coven book until I am up to date with the Fallen Angel trilogy. I feel as though it’s an injustice to the author – this is clearly a fun series, I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to because I didn’t understand how heavily it would refence the author’s other work.

That’s my warning over and done with now, and I’ll say some things about the book without referring back to my own personal issue mentioned above.

What I enjoyed about this one was the siren element of the story. Although there are many witch books out there, the siren twist is something you do not see all that often. I enjoyed the way it was mixed in so well with things people already know about the paranormal world. Sitting side-by-side the shifter element, you could easily believe siren stories are something that is done every day – it just went so well.

I also enjoyed the way the story arc grew throughout this one. Things were rather slow at the start of this book, but the second half had a lot more action. Not only was there more action, but twists were thrown in that would clearly come into play in the later books in the series. There’s a lot of great set up for what is to come, and I’m certainly curious to see how everything comes together.

Overall, this was an interesting read – I simply wish I had been able to understand certain elements a bit better.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment