Thursday 1 February 2018

Review: Starborn

Starborn Starborn by Samantha Jane
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love books involving paranormal powers, meaning I was quick to grab this read when I realised the superpowers were of the paranormal variety. There’s no Superman flying in from another planet, no Batman slipping out of his mansion to join the hero party – it’s just good old fashioned paranormal superpowers done right.

Despite my excitement, I was a little bit worried. I questioned whether I was getting pumped up, heading towards disappointment. This fear, however, evaporated quickly. There was no need for me to be worried – within pages I had fallen in love with this story, and I wanted more. More of the powers, more of the world, and more of the characters.

Without a doubt, the powers were my favourite element of the story. The way in which people came into their powers was so refreshing. It was something different, and I’m always willing to try something new. How the powers develop was also a lot of fun. Throughout, we got to find out enough to keep us engaged, yet there is still plenty more we wish to find out. We know what to expect in terms of power categorisation, but there are so many potentials for where individual powers could lead.

Add that into where the story could lead and there are so many possibilities. The world building in this one was wonderful, introducing us to so much. As with the powers, though, there is still plenty more to find out. It’s a solid first book in a series – it introduces the major points, while leaving you wanting more – and I cannot wait to see how everything comes together. There is drama between characters, bad guys are introduced, and references are made to a much bigger world outside of what we were introduced to. It was plenty to whet the appetite to ensure you’d be back for more.

I can assure you, you will be back for more. If the superpowers and world building were not enough to win you over, then the characters will. Although this book tells the relationship between two of the characters, so many characters are introduced and you know they will be important in the future. I cannot wait to see how the stories of the other characters play out – not just their romantic stories, but I want to know where their powers and choices lead them. The cast was so much fun and I cannot wait to visit them again.

While I did enjoy this book a lot, I was surprised by what my least favourite element was. I love a good tutor and mentee romance, yet the romance was my least favourite part of the story. I think I was so sucked into everything else that I never reached the level of fangirl over the relationship that I had hoped to. It was still a fun romance story, I cannot deny the characters went well together, but it wasn’t my favourite element of the story.

Overall, I loved this one. The ending will certainly have you grabbing book two, wanting to see what comes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment