Monday 19 February 2018

Review: Riske and Revenge

Riske and Revenge Riske and Revenge by Natalie E. Wrye
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Riske and Revenge is the first book in Natalie E. Wrye’s Revenge series, and I’m unsure how I feel about this one.

In truth, this is a two-point-five-star rating rounded up. I went in expecting a story that would grip me, but I wasn’t as sucked in as I was hoping I would be. There were a few moments where I found myself enjoying it, but mostly I felt as though I was wading through a lot of nothing to reach the good stuff.

I think a lot of my issues came from the fact I disliked both of our main characters. Not in the sense of them being unlikeable characters in any particular way, simply that I couldn’t find anything that made me care about them. I didn’t care much about their individual stories, nor did I care much for the relationship between the two of them. I was watching things unfold, but I didn’t care much at all.

Moreover, I spent so long waiting for something big to happen in relation to the revenge aspect. It’s the name of the series, so my hopes were high… Yet I was let down. Sure there were some drama filled moments, but it wasn’t the dark and twisted revenge story I had been hoping for. It felt as though too many things were thrown together, too many aspects were attempted, and none were played out as well as they could have been.

Despite it all, there were glimpses of possibility throughout this book – hence why I rounded up instead of down. It could have been so much more, but as it was it felt like a bit of a chore.

Overall, it wasn’t what I had been hoping for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment