Tuesday 27 February 2018

Review: Start Me Up

Start Me Up Start Me Up by J. Kenner
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Start Me Up is the fourth book in J. Kenner’s Man of the Month series, and it’s another winner. After finishing book one, Down on Me, I was excited for more; after finishing book two, Hold on Tight, I was desperate for more; after finishing book three, Need You Now, my desperation had reached epic proportions. Now, four books in, I’m starting to regret my decision to read these books as they release – a part of me wishes I had waited until all twelve were out, and then I would binge read them all. After all, these are very much binge worthy books – after each one, you’re left wanting more.

The Man of the Month series is a collection of interconnected romance stories, proving individual stories as a larger story plays out. Each novel features a favourite romance trope, ensuring there is something for everyone. The first book, Down on Me, provided us with the friends-to-lovers trope; the second book, Hold on Tight, provided us with the second chance romance; the third book, Need You Now, provided us with the brother’s best friend trope. I’m not entirely sure what the correct label is for the Start Me Up trope, but I’m going to label it the one-night stand. You all know the story – that one-night stand that leads into something much more, the night that changes a person’s life.

Although each book is an individual story with a start and an end, I would recommend reading these books in order. To understand some of the details of the story in full, you need to understand how things came to be throughout the prior books. You’re certainly told, to ensure you have the basic facts to understand the story, but it is not the same as experiencing all that happened – for a bigger picture, read the series in order. This is especially true with this book. By this point, we’re a few weeks into the story line, and events in this book take us back to things that happened in the earlier books. In particular, it adds a lot more meaning to events that played out in the earlier books. Sure, you’re can pick and choose with these books – but to get the best experience I beg you read them in order, especially if you want the full impact of each story.

Like the prior two stories, you knew how things were going to play out in this one. You know how the trope plays out, and you know our male lead will be April’s man of the month. Despite this, the smaller details quickly pull you in. You know where things are going, but you want to see how things will come together. It’s the small details that suck you in, that leave you wanting more. Although this fourth book is not my favourite of the series, it provided all the feel-good elements I have come to enjoy in the prior book.

In fact, if I’m completely honest, this one shocked me. I went in with low expectations of this one, not overly interested by the characters – only to enjoy it so much more than I’d initially anticipated. It may not be my favourite in the series thus far, but it is certainly the one to have shocked me the most. Not because of any surprise twist, but simply because I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this one. It was mainly the characters I was unsure about, but it turns out I adored them both and the relationship.

Without a doubt, another fun addition to the series. Now, I’m super in need of book five. Book five is giving us one of the stories I’m really excited to find out more about – and the sooner I can jump in the better. That little snippet at the end of this book – it’s not enough, I need to see what comes next.

Hurry up and give me Get It On!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment