Tuesday 13 February 2018

Review: Road to Eugenica

Road to Eugenica Road to Eugenica by A.M. Rose
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The synopsis of Road to Eugenica instantly grabbed me, leaving me with the belief this was just the kind of book I needed. Being a fan of young adult science-fiction, I was more than happy to dive in with my high hopes. Unfortunately, this was one of those books I had a lot of trouble with.

My issues started quite early on, when I found I wasn’t sucked into the story. Having been excited for this one, though, I told myself to stick with it. Sometimes books are slow to start, sometimes you need to stick with things, and you can be surprised once you are part way through a book. Yet the percentage kept jumping – ten, twenty, thirty, forty, and so on – but it was at an extremely slow pace. I wasn’t sucked in, I was forcing myself to read. I wanted to enjoy this one, I really did, but I just couldn’t.

Mainly, it’s because I did not care about the characters at all. Our female lead left me rolling my eyes, left me disinterested in her life; the males were only marginally better, there were a couple of moments of interest but they were fleeting. I kept waiting for something about the characters to scream out to me, was waiting for an interest in any of them, but it did not happen. Without a connection to any of the characters, I didn’t much care about where the story was going.

What stopped this book from being a one-star rating was the science-fiction element. It was overshadowed by clichés and love triangle annoyances, but there was the potential there. Had the story focused more upon this, had we spent more time looking for answers rather than bouncing around all the teenage hormones, I may have cared more about the story. As it was, I found myself skimming sections unrelated to the science-fiction element.

Overall, this book wasn’t for me. I’m sure many will enjoy it, but it wasn’t what I was looking for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment