Tuesday 30 October 2018

Review: The Legacy

The Legacy The Legacy by Dylan Allen
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I was more than a little bit curious about Dylan Allen’s The Legacy, finding myself of the belief it would be a book I would fall in love with. Unfortunately, this seems to be one of those ‘it’s me, not you’ cases. I can see why so many people have enjoyed this one, yet I found the book extremely difficult to get into.

If I’m being completely honest, there were points when I considered giving up with the book. I did not connect with the characters and I wasn’t overly invested in the story. There were little things that interested me though, things I hoped would win me over, and this is what kept me reading.

It was these little things, the things that guaranteed I’d continue reading, that had me handing out a two-star rating rather than a single star. The fact I was willing to continue, the fact there was somewhat curious, prevented me from putting the book aside and giving up.

What made it so difficult for me?

Mainly it was the characters. I did not connect with either of the main characters, and I felt no emotion towards their relationship at all. On top of that, it is clear this book sets out to create an entire series for people to become invested in, hence we get introduced to drama and side characters that are supposed to leave us wanting more. As it was, I didn’t care for any of those characters either. In fact, the only emotions I felt towards them were negative, the kinds of emotions that will ensure I will not be picking up their stories.

On the surface, this seemed like a book I would enjoy. Alas, it really was a case of us not clicking. I’m in the minority, though, so in this case I think the problem really was me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment