Saturday 27 October 2018

Review: Pawn

Pawn Pawn by Sophie Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Pawn is the first Sophie Davis book I have read, and the first book in the Shadow Fate series, and I’ll certainly be diving into more. In fact, I’m rather desperate to get my hands on the second book in the series to see what happens next.

There are so many young adult mythology books out there, especially Greek mythology books, that I feel as though it is hard to find any that really stand out. It seems to be the same kind of story told over and over again. The main character finds out they’re the child of a God and drama ensues. There is nothing wrong with this kind of story, but at this point it feels overdone. Thus, I’m always interested in finding those stories that offer something different.

Pawn is that something different.

I’m not going to go into details, as I have no wish to be the person who gives spoilers, but know this story is unlike the other young adult mythology books you find. This one offers us something different, whilst keeping hold of all the things that make these kinds of books gripping. Without a doubt, I fell in love with this story – the fact it was something unique, the way things slowly developed, and the lingering questions I have worked to ensure I am in dire need of book two.

I mean, those questions. I thought we’d been introduced to plenty of things already, there were so many things I was eager to see, but the ending gave us so many new possibilities. There were more twists thrown in than expected, more questions developed than anticipated, and the ending has worked to ensure I’ll gladly dive straight into book two.

Bring on the second book in the Shadow Fate series – I’m eager to see what comes next!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment