Saturday 27 October 2018

Review: The Vanishing Year

The Vanishing Year The Vanishing Year by Kate Moretti
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Kate Moretti’s The Vanishing Year is another of those books I’d place in the disappointing domestic thrillers category. If you enjoy the kinds of thrillers where the thrills are minimal yet the drama is high, then you’re sure to enjoy this one. However, I find these kinds of thrillers disappoint me more often than they please me. At this point I think I need to call it quits – quit whilst I’m ahead and simply continue with the hard-hitting thrillers I know I enjoy.

Although I was curious about this one, I was never really sucked in as deep as I could have been. I think the main reason for this was I did not like our female lead. I did not care for her inner monologues, and I felt like she was an exceptionally weak lead for a thriller. Add in the fact that I did not care about the side characters, and it was just curiosity of how things played out that had me turning the pages.

If I’m being completely honest, there was a point when I considered giving this a three-star rating. There are a number of different things going on with this book, ensuring you’ll be happy to continue turning the pages to see how things come together. Unfortunately, the fact I managed to work things out meant that three-star rating was dropped down to a two-star rating. It was fun, but the predictability of the story prevented me from really enjoying it.

Overall, I’m sure The Vanishing Year will appeal to many, but it was not what I’d wanted.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment